Grilled Watermelon and Pork Kabobs
6 tablespoons brown sugar
6 tablespoons soy sauce
6 tablespoons diced red onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ teaspoon ground thyme
Dash of pepper to taste
1 pound boned, lean pork chop, cut into 1-inch cubes (approximately 38 to 40 pieces)
32 cubes watermelon (1 inch)
16-24 zucchini rounds (1/2 inch)
16 pineapple chunks (1 inch), fresh or canned
24 yellow and/or orange peppers
1. Combine sugar, soy sauce, onion, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, thyme and pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour into a zip-close bag and add pork pieces. Seal bag, mix thoroughly and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning bag on occasion.
2. Remove pork from bag and reserve marinade. Thread 5 pork pieces, 4 watermelon cubes, 2 to 3 zucchini rounds, 2 pineapple chunks and 3 peppers on each of the 8 skewers, alternating the order.
3. Heat the grill to medium-high.
4. Spray cooking surface and place kebobs on grill. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes, depending on grill heat, or until done, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade. Garnish with sesame seeds and chunks of watermelon.
Avocado Toast with Watermelon
4 tablespoons mashed avocado
½ teaspoon lemon juice
2 slices whole grain bread, toasted
4 tablespoons diced watermelon
2 tablespoons feta cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
½ teaspoon lemon zest
1. Mix mashed avocado with lemon juice.
2. Spread half the avocado mix on each slice of the toasted bread, top with half of the watermelon and cheese, then sprinkle with half of the mint leaves and lemon zest.
5 cups chopped watermelon
½ cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup chopped green peppers
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
½ cup chopped cilantro
2 teaspoons chopped jalapeno
1 tablespoon lime juice
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 cup finely chopped watermelon, reserved for garnish
½-1 cup diced avocado for garnish
1. Puree the first 10 ingredients in a blender until smooth. Adjust the seasonings as needed.
2. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
3. Stir in the finely chopped watermelon and avocado at serving time.
Watermelon Coconut Margarita
2 cups seeded watermelon chunks
2 ounces coconut flavored rum
½ cup shredded coconut
Juice from 1 fresh lime
1 cup ice
Sugar to rim glass (optional)
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour into a sugar-rimmed glass.
Watermelon Muffin Crumble Parfait
2 cups chopped watermelon (well drained)
4 cups small cubes of watermelon
3 small bran muffins
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups fat free vanilla flavored yogurt
½ cup toasted sliced almonds
½ cup dried cranberries
½ cup honey
1. Crumble the muffins and divide among the bottom of four 12-ounce glasses, reserving about ¾ cup of the crumble.
2. Mix the cinnamon and yogurt, and divide half of it over the crumbled muffin in the glass.
3. Divide the watermelon and dried cranberries over the yogurt in the glasses.
4. Divide the remaining yogurt over the watermelon and dried cranberries.
5. Divide the remaining muffin crumble over the glasses and top with honey.
6. Garnish with the toasted sliced almonds and top with watermelon cubes.
All recipes courtesy of watermelon.org (That’s right! There’s a whole website dedicated to watermelon).